Friday, November 19, 2010

Preserving Food in the Willamette Valley

In pioneering days, homesteaders did not rely on pressure canners and large chest freezers to "put by" enough food to survive the winter.  This page is dedicated to address the question of "How the heck did they do it?"

The research I've done has led to the discovery of many pages on lacto-fermenting various food items, as well as other methods of preservation.  Each blog I visit on these topics is more fascinating than the last.  Before too long, the bookmarks became overwhelming.  This blog became necessary as a tool to share these wonderful ideas from all over the globe.      

In the Willamette Valley, a root cellar isn't as feasible as some other places, because of our humidity and water issues?  This problem is one I'm still contemplating, and hope to resolve.  The time between late summer and before it gets cold enough to consider outside acceptable "cold storage" is a problem.  One solution is a refrigerator dedicated to lacto-fermented items.  It certainly isn't what they did in the pioneer days.  Another solution is a container that can accommodate a quantity of jars (a roughneck 10-gallon tote can nicely accommodate 12 mason jars), and a cooler could be even better.  Once the jars are filled, they could be refrigerated overnight and placed into the tote and buried up to their neck in sand.  I don't know how long this would keep them cold enough during this seasonal transition.

Root vegetables need certain conditions.  I don't know what makes them rot or sprout.  Lower humidity is good, or higher? Carrots, onions, garlic, potatoes, squash, turnips.  How did the Willamette Valley pioneers do it?  An above ground root cellar (heavily insulated) could do it (?), if only space weren't such an issue (at least at my house).

In addition to asking the question of how pioneers in this area managed to survive the winter, I also wonder what makes the most logical sense here and now.  Until I figure out how to salt pork, etc., maybe a chest freezer would make the most logical sense.   

Water-bath canning still may make sense for tomato paste & sauce, but I'm undecided.  Next year, I will definitely try lacto-fermented salsa.  Lacto-fermented thick tomato sauce is an attractive idea as well.  The thought of a product with enhanced nutrient content is such an attractive one.  The idea of preserving nutritionally-enhanced green beans and corn without the fear of botulism, is very alluring.  As I explore these traditional options, I will keep you posted.  If you have two cents to contribute, I'd be happy to hear from you!

1 comment:

  1. I live in the Willamette Valley and am still planning on making a root cellar work in the future...you know, once I have my dream acreage...at any rate, my thought is that will be in ground, with cinder block walls. The floor I'm planning on digging with a large sump and filling the sump and a foot or so past with gravel so that humidity can travel through but it will do away with pooling water. Maybe a drain as well? I'm also planning on having a gardening shed/dry pantry overtop of the cellar to decrease rain accumulation. Of course, this all still depends on what the water table will be like. The geothermal temperature should be 55 F, and ventilation will have to provide further cooling. I have read the issues with the area, but talking with some oldtimers, it didn't seem to stop them. It has to be better than leaving everything to sit in the garage with all the chemicals and whatever else is in there or running extra refrigerators...

    ReplyDelete