Friday, January 7, 2011

Looking Backward

Now that winter is here and the garden is not producing, a perspective is settling in for me.  An answer is formulating to address the question of what to grow, what to preserve, what to eat, to facilitate a diet based on the "Nourishing Traditions" perspective.  

Last summer, I had already committed my garden plans to reality when I discovered "pickling", or lacto-fermenting as a means of food preservation. Now that the time for which I was preparing has arrived, I can see that what I should grow next year is in part everything I am buying now.

Instead of looking at the seed catalog, getting all excited, growing a bunch of stuff, figuring out how to preserve whatever grows, and then eating whatever I came up with, I think it would be wiser to look at it from the other way around:

What foods do we want to eat in the winter, when we are [more] dependent upon imported items, prices, and availability?  How would we prefer to find and use these items in their preserved state?  This is the harvest for which I should plan, which is the list I should look for in the seed catalog!  

In light of this, I have decided to make a matrix of Everything and how it connects through this perspective.  What I need to figure out is how to best post this information.  Good luck to me!       

No comments:

Post a Comment